Friday 3 June 2011

PAM 359 on Gunny straps in Restaurant Andre

My PAM 359 on a Gunny Caitlin 2 in Restaurant Andre - one of the Top 100 Restaurants in the World 2011 by San Pellegrino


WRIST SHOTS:


THE MENU:  Composed of 8 Elements...


PURE:  No salt, no sugar, nothing...Honestly, my wife and I were not impressed with this dish.  We kind of got a bit worried as this was THE 1st dish of the night and set the tone...luckily it was the exception rather than the rule.  See the succeeding comments.  It was all uphill from the 2nd dish all the way to the end.

This dish was supposed to be oysters but me and my wife are not big oyster fans.  Upfront they told us what main ingredients we dont want and they quoted a few which included oysters. 

Low and behold, they substituted it with seared tuna which was spot on!!! They read my mind!!!!!   Seared tuna is one of my favorite in the world!!!!  Talk about customization.

You see the white dots around the plate?  They are suppose to be apples and cucumbers which you eat with the Tuna.

SALT:  Taiwanese micro(?) corn with Japanese rock salt and (forgot the right part - haha)

This had all sorts of sweet and sour flavors in them bursting in your mouth - melon, tomatoes, etc..

SOUTH:  Andre's influences when he lived in France; different types of fish on top of risotto - this was one was truly top notch!! really love this dish.  Maybe because I love risotto in the first place...

Thought the white part was a painting on the plate!!!  Did not realize it was the Cauliflower sauce!  Unbelievable...There was also black squid ink rice crackers on top made with arborio rice underneath looked like risotto but it was actually the squid!!...a playful surprise by Andre.

UNIQUE: Flavor of this is truly one of a kind! I have not tasted anything like it; I cannot describe it as I am not a food critic so I dont have words for it...it's topped by Spanish Iberico ham (which I know) and has a special egg in it found in Singapore with 80% yellow yolk!! (ouch, bad for my cholesterol).  Can't remember the others inside hahaha.

My wife and I was kind of clueless what this egg was but they 'model' eggs to show the differences!!! hahaha which I was oblivious since I was just too worried about eating too much yellow egg yolk!  But I was worried if I don't eat it, it might destroy the 'impact.'  I still tried to eat most of it but left still may be 20-30% of the yolk for my health's sake...

MEMORY:  This is Andre Chiang's signature dish which I understand he has been serving at his restaurants for 10 years, hence Memory (I would not know - it's our 1st time ever) --->  A foie gras with black trufle oil - truly divine dish with an unprecedented taste...

TERROIR:  steak (Omi beef) with french and japanese influences - potato gnochi (i think) one side, wasabi green peas on the other, hence, terroir...

CHEESE PLATE:  made from cow on the top and right and goat on the left plus plum, apricot, pesto, etc. all over...

DESSERT:  Different chocolate types - white, dark, crunchy chocolates...


I am no food expert nor do I dine regularly in similar food establishments so my food review above does not mean to be technical or anything close.  I am just someone who just try to admire good food or whether it makes me feel good.

Admittedly, the food is quite pricy as expected but you get what you pay for.  Super Top notch, World class service!!!!  It was almost a ritual.  Great way for us to celebrate our 9th year Wedding anniversary!!!  Happy anniversary to my dearest wife whom I love dearly....


Do we recommend it?  Highly.  Go ahead and indulge.

Are we coming back?  Yes, but not so soon because there are still so many other restaurants we have not tried and the price is too steep for us to make it as a common visit.  But you should definitely try it at least once!!

THE WEBSITE (Pretty cool I should say, all his tons of awards are there.  They say pretty soon he would get a Michelin star of his own.):


No comments:

Post a Comment